Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Name and Logo

It's been a long few weeks, but I'm finally starting to get somewhere on my project. The name of my company, which will be fighting for health in gaming, will be called Better Play. I figured with a title like this the message would really get across that I want to find the balance between physical activities and gaming. After all gaming is here to stay so we might as well find a way to make it better for everyone. When deciding the name, it actually didn't have much competition. My group originally narrowed it down to either BAXY or the Active Sloth. BAXY was a completely made up word that paid homage to the most common buttons on most controllers, except for the playstation. Active Sloth was a choice because of it being an oxymoron in that this organization is trying to keep people from being sloths all day. Though, they both had pull, Better Play was the stronger option at the end of the day and then the hard part of a logo was still to come.

The idea has always been to combine medicine with gaming and that has been my thinking when sketching out logos. I utilized numerous combinations of the medical symbol with game equipment such as making it a joystick or combining it to a nunchuk. However, that wasn't strong enough. Upon further inspection, it was brought to my attention that the d-pad or directional pad is a common factor on most controllers. The thought was that also looks close to the medical cross and so that is the direction I have been going for the past week or so. I have illustrated countless ideas of including the d-pad with medicine by changing it to red, putting it in shapes, choosing the proper typeface, and so on. I still have not been entirely sold on one particular logo, but I feel that I'm getting very close.

No comments:

Post a Comment