Monday, April 29, 2013

Response to Capstone Presentation

My capstone presentation didn't go as well as I hoped it would, but I received a lot of good input from the professionals who came. At first it was going to be three separate pages to navigate around, but the panel felt it wouldn't be nearly as effective as a one page scrolling site. I originally was going to have it as a one page site, but it wouldn't have fit well with my project because a one page story site typically tells some sort of story or it's a large poster or image. So I steered clear of the one page site idea, but something had to be done to make my site more appealing. Then it was brought to my attention to visit a site called the slavery footprint and this set the look for the rest of my site.

I was originally going to stick very close to the site by having a quiz and putting the rest of the information in light boxes. However, that got to be too cumbersome because you would have to exit out and click something else to go to a different page. It didn't make much sense. So after many revisions I arrived at a solution that worked with the style of my project.

I divided the site into 4 pages this time, but made each page more appealing and greatly cut out information that wasn't necessary. On the first page of the site there is a short quiz that can be taken to determine whether or not your child has a gaming problem giving you your results at the end. Next, is the about page giving very general and quick information about what this organization is and what we do. The next page is the risks page that tells six major risks that come with gaming and also gives a solution to solve and combat said risk. Lastly, the fourth page is the contact page that has a small email form that can be filled out and sent to the company along with links to a Youtube page, Twitter account, and Facebook page.

Overall I was disheartened at first by the setback from the capstone presentation, but then quickly realized how good the information was because it allowed me to create an excellent website.

No comments:

Post a Comment