Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Most Compelling Research

I have looked at many different websites about health issues, game benefits, and solutions to health issues, but the most compelling research I have found is probably balancepoints.com. This website not only pertains greatly to my topic, but is a viable solution and forced me to think even more critically about what I needed my project to be. I had to decide whether or not my project should be a campaign to raise awareness about this issue or a program that solves the issue. I decided it would be best to make it a campaign because it will not only bring an important issue to light, but also tell where to find help.
The most important part about balancepoints.com is that it tackles the solution of too much screen time such as computer, video games, or even just television. It provides helpful solutions to parents on how to monitor their kids screen time, get them more active, and turn their activity into points for screen-time. What this research also does is talk about my greatest solution to the health issues, the parent or guardian. It is up to them to monitor their child and this account to make sure the child is seeking other hobbies and interests and not sitting in front of the screen all day.
What this site does the best for me is provide a ready-made solution that my campaign can take parents to. Through the discovery of this my project has taken another step in that I will potentially be creating a fake organization that is all about helping the children health and could partner with this site. I will also be providing other areas to find solutions and even tell the many benefits of gaming by providing links to another site called theesafacts.com. On this site are various facts about gaming and articles relating to this topic that tell gaming isn’t all bad. This will not only reassure the parents, but keep them more open-minded when their child is gaming. However, they would still need to make sure that their child is doing other things.
Through the use of these two sites I will be able to focus more on the topic of getting the issue out there for people to know about it while letting the sites back me up. This discovery of the two sites has pushed my project ahead by laying the groundwork of what I need to create for my capstone project. First, I will create a infographic or motion piece talking about the issue of health in gaming and where to look for help and that it should be monitored. Next, I will then create a small website for my organization telling about other issues for gaming, what you can do to prevent these problems, and various benefits that can come from gaming. Lastly, I will create a few posters for my organization that have simple quotes coupled with pictures to stress the importance of safety, health, and of course fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment